Saturday, October 9, 2010

Grilled Banana Splits

I read a blog called The Daily Dish.

There is always neat recipes and new twists to old recipes featured on this site.
Friday is generally set aside to discuss different grilling recipes.
One particular Friday, there was a recipe for Grilled Banana Splits.
Oh yes, it is as decadent as it sounds.
I decided to try it last weekend on Matt and our friends.

After dinner was over and cleaned up I began cutting up and skewering my fruit kebobs.

Each skewer featured:
2 banana coins
2 whole strawberries
2 pineapple chunks
After they were skewered, I brushed them with a combination of pineapple juice and melted butter.
The grill was fired up and ready to go.

I placed each skewer on the grill for approx 8-10 minutes, turning often.

I asked each guest which flavor of ice cream they would like to have, and then slid the grilled fruit off on top of the homemade ice cream.
The consensus seemed to be unanimous. Delicious.

YAY! I was so excited.

Then I tasted mine.

Oh.My.Word.

I don’t know which was better, the ice cream or the grilled fruit.

I absolutely woofed my bowl down and was tempted to get more.

But alas, I had picked the wrong dairy battle and reluctantly, I waved my white flag of surrender.



Grilled Banana Splits
8 Skewers
2 Large bananas, sliced
¼ Small pineapple, chunks
8 Large strawberries
2 T. melted butter
1 t. pineapple juice
Favorite ice cream flavor
Various sundae toppings (nuts, chocolate syrup, cherries, sprinkles, etc.)
Soak skewers in water for 20 minutes.

Thread banana, pineapple and strawberries onto skewers leaving a small space between each piece of fruit. (I used 2 banana slices, 2 pineapple chunks, and 2 whole strawberries per skewer.)

Combine butter and pineapple juice. Brush over the fruit skewers.

Gas up the grill and set it on medium heat for about 5 minutes before you place the fruit skewers on it.

Place skewers on grill for about 5-10 minutes or until warm and bananas are lightly browned; turning occasionally.

Serve immediately over a couple of scoops of ice cream and whatever toppings you wish to use.

No comments: