Saturday, January 22, 2011

Comforting Chicken Noodle Soup

Matt is a huge fan of chicken noodle soup.
He is always begging his mom to make a pot of it for him
Recently, I purchased a recipe magazine while standing in line at the grocery store.
I think they put them there on purpose….I’m a sucker and always purchase.
I’m glad that I did.
I love this magazine!

I’m not sure if it is still on the shelves or not, but if so, I highly recommend it.



Comforting Chicken Noodle Soup
(Adapted from the Taste of Home Heartwarming Soups Magazine)

INGREDIENTS
1 broiler/fryer chicken (2-3lbs)*
2½ qt water
½ medium onion, chopped
3 t. salt
2 t. chicken bouillon granules
⅛ t. pepper
¼ t. dried marjoram
¼ t. dried thyme
1 bay leaf
1½ c. uncooked fine egg noodles
1 c. chopped celery
1 c. chopped carrots

In a stockpot, combine the first 9 ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce the heat; cover and simmer for 1½ hours. Removed chicken; allow to cool. Strain broth; discard bay leaf.

Skim fat. De-bone the chicken and broth pan. Add the noodles, celery and carrots; bring to a boil. Reduce the heat; cover and simmer for 25-30 minutes or until noodles and vegetables are tender.

Yield: 8-10 servings

MY ADAPTATIONS:
I used the boneless skinless chicken breast tenderloins, which I had precut into chunks prior to cooking. If you go this route, it will save time. Also if you chose this route, you will only need to boil the first 9 ingredients for about 45-60 minutes.

No comments: