Saturday, January 22, 2011

Low Country Shirmp Pilaf

Matt really likes cajun and low country type foods.
I really like the spicy flavors in those foods. 
I'm not a huge fan of gumbos or jambalyas, but I will eat them.
It's the "kick" I really enjoy. 
I happened upon this recipe one day while searching for something for dinner.
I knew that we would both love it.
And I was right.



Low Country Shrimp Pilaf

(Adapted from Cooking Light Magazine)

INGREDIENTS
1 ½ T canola oil (I used EVOO)
1 ½ c. green pepper, diced
1 c. onion, diced
1 T. minced garlic
2 t. Old Bay Seasoning
1 lb Shrimp
½ c. white wine
¾ c. water w/ chicken bouillon
1 ½ c. white rice (I used brown rice)
2 T. thyme, divided
1 can Rotel (14.5oz) Tomatoes with Jalapenos

Heat oil, add pepper & onion. Sauté 2 minutes. Add garlic and Old Bay Seasoning, sauté 1 minute. Add shrimp, wine, water/bouillon and bring to a boil. Stir in rice, cover and remove from heat. Let stand until liquid is absorbed.

After liquid is absorbed, place the pan back over medium heat. Stir in 1T thyme and tomatoes. Cook for 2 minutes or until completely heated. Sprinkle with remaining thyme.

Yeild:  4 Servings
Serving Size: 1 ½ cups

NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION:
Calories:  365
Fat:  8g
Protein:  27.8g
Carbohydrate:  44.7g
Fiber:  3.9g
Cholesterol:  174mg

WW POINTS: 7

1 comment:

Mrs. Ashe said...

This makes me want to make shrimp & grits! Yum I think I will one day this week. Thanks for the inspiration.