Saturday, January 22, 2011

Mini Meatball Sandwiches

Matt and I love meatballs.
Whether it be a meatball sub, meatballs served as a finger food,
or spaghetti with meatballs, we love them all.
I had been perusing the Pioneer Woman Tasty Kitchen website when I happened upon this recipe.
I made a few tweaks here and there. (see below recipe for my adpatations)

This recipe as a whole was fantastic and rather quick meal.
I was surprised at how fast the meatballs were done.
I will say that I was rather stressed about having to touch the meat and mix by hands.
But I overcame my fear and rolled up my sleeves and tackled the turkey with the best of them!
*gasp!*
My mother would be so proud.

Please excuse the horrible appearance of myself.  I look horrible....and my arms look like they are about to eat the top of my tank.  PLEASE IGNORE me....just focus on the fact that my hands are in the meat mixure. 
I rolled all of these BY MYSELF!
*pardon me while I try to keep from gagging.*
Meat-a-Balls cooking away.
First batch of meatballs done, prior to having the marinara poured on them.
Voila!  Finished product.  I realize now I should have left the top off one of them.  O-well.
I also promise that they are actually on a plate, it's just clear.

Mini Meatball Sandwiches
(Adapted from the The Pioneer Woman Cooks)

INGREDIENTS
1lb Turkey
½ c. Panko
1 garlic clove, minced
½ t. salt
½ t. pepper
½ FF milk
2T olive oil
½ whole medium onion, diced
1 jar marinara (homemade or store bought)
12 dinner rolls
4 slices Provolone Cheese

Mix meat with bread crumbs, garlic, salt, pepper and milk. Knead together with hands. Roll into heaping tablespoon-sized balls.

Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.  Add onions and cook for 1 minute.   Add meatballs with the onions and brown for 1 minute.  Pour in marinara sauce, shake pan to mix. Put lid on and simmer for 20 minutes.

Cut dinner rolls in half. Place wedge of Provolone cheese on the top and bottom halves.   Spoon meatball and sauce onto  the bottom bun.   Top with other half of bun.

Serve immediately.

MY ADAPTATIONS:
* The original recipie calls for ground chuck, but I opted to use ground turkey to make it a little healthier.
* I also used fat-free milk instead of whole milk.
* I threw in a little marjoram, fennel seed and oregano to give them a little more of an Italian flare.

2 comments:

Mrs. Ashe said...

Great idea for Superbowl Sunday!

Susan Allen said...

You are too funny!!! I had forgotten how witty you are and how much I enjoy your writing! Love this blog and the recipes are great!